Re: deciding on a new amd64 system

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 11:15:06PM +0200, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

> I'm also inquiring about hardware for a new system.
> Based on previous posts (with some replacements for parts I didn't
> readily found in the closest shop), here is my tentative list (with
> alternative choices):
>
> CPU             Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
> CPU             AMD Athlon64 5000
> RAM             1024MB DDR2-6400 800Mhz
> Fan             Zalman CNPS9500
> MB (Intel CPU)  Asus P5N32-E SLI + S775 DualX16 FSB1333 FW GbLan
> MB (Intel CPU)  Intel Mbo DP965LT-Skt LGA775/1066/DDR2-800/SATA/IDE/1394
> MB (AMD CPU)    Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe-AM2/SATA/Wifi/DDR2-800/G
> HDD             WD 320GB SATA
> HDD             WD 160GB SATA
> HDD             Seagate 160GB 8MB SATA-II
> HDD             Seagate 320GB 16MB SATA-II

> Is there some reason to avoid some of the above HW (e.g. no linux support,
> bad components,...)?
> What would be the preferred choice (for CPU, MB, HDD, case, screen, power
> supply, fans)?  Is it safe to assume that currently, an AMD CPU performance
> is equivalent to an Intel CPU at about the same price?

I chose AMD since IMHO Intel and MS are kissing siblings.  I have the
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe; I didn't need the Wifi.

Everyone has both favorite and horror stories about every hard drive
manufacturer.  I've had 2 WD drives, both died within 8 years.  I've had
2 Seagate prior to my current 2; none have died, one is old
(whenever 850 MB was HUGE, EXPENSIVE, and a specialty item.  I bought it
used for $20.  The other is a positively ancient 171 MB drive that I
found in the dump; dried it up, ran badblocks (found none)...

I don't know about WDs SATA but if you go with Seagate, they come with a
jumper on them for SATA-I that you have to remove for SATA-II
performance.

The hardest problem on a computer to track down is flaky memory so
choose wisely.  Also, I would recommend ECC.  I went with Kingston 1 GB
stick, ECC-800.  I'll add a second soon followed by a pair of 2 GB.

I don't know what the Zalman fan is for.  I got my AMD CPU in an AMD box
with a CPU fan with a warning that if I used another it would void the
warranty.  My CM-Stacker case came with a blow-hole fan, 3 front fans in
drive bays, I put the PSU in the bottom and added 2 80mm fans to the
upper PSU bay, plus I added the CM cross-flow fan.

I don't see anything that would be inherently a no-go with linux but I
do know from reading this list that wifi is interesting.  make sure its
covered.

Good luck.

Doug.