Re: My new Etch 2.6.18-4 install segfaults and freezes!

This very much sound like a hardware problem.
Have you tried:
1) resetting the bios?
2) disabling cool'n'quiet in the bios?
3) changing memory DIMM around (weirdly enough since the MB booklet
disagreed, i've fixed an issue like that)
4) running memtest86?

There could be more...but that's a start.

-Pascal