Re: LibGL

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 10:07:05AM +0100, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> I don't understand this Lennart. Why do you need -dev to have libGL.so? and
> why, if I have nvidia-glx I don't have libGL.so and the libGL.so is pointing
> the mesa GL library?
> If I have a nvidia driver and want to use all the resources of the driver.
> Using the libmesa is a loss of the hardware. Probably I'm missing something ,
> but I don't now what.

Because when compiling, you compile with libGL.so, which is a symlink to
the version matching the header files you are using.  Later on the
program loads based on the version of the library if was linked against,
in this case libGL.so.1, so only compiling should ever need the .so
file.  Of course there are cases of people screwing up their compiling
that manage to build a program that expects the .so file directly,
although such programs must break the day the .so gets replaced with a
symlink to the .so.2 version of the library (since it would have an
incompatible ABI).