Re: worth a bug?

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 11:55:39PM -0800, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> I wonder whether a bug should be placed. If so, which
> files should accompany it.
>
> amd64 etch, debian raid1, on dual-opteron machine.
>
> During heavy mathematical computation largely based on
> libimf.so (no X installed), overnigth application
> halted reporting unclassified error (bug placed to the
> non-debian application).
>
> Changed terminal, read (cat) files, then
> #shutdown -h now
> failed to shutdown the system. Last portion of the
> screen dealt with:
> ---mdadm monitor
> ---APC UPS power management
> ---Klogd
> ---syslogd
> ---portmap daemon
> ---ifdowncleaned
> ---deactivate swap
>
> then, literally:
>
> Will now umount local filesystem: could not find
> /dev/.static/dev in mtab
> /dev/.static/dev umounted
> /dev/md0 umounted
>
> Halted at that. The machine allowed to change
> terminal, to ask for a new user, though no username
> could be printed from any terminal, and the original
> one did not respond. Ctrl-Alt-Delete was nor accepted.
> I could only switch off power.
>
> On restart this morning, evrything looks like OK after
> a forced (by the system) scan of all partitions,
> because it had been mounted more that 30 times.
>
> Thanks a lot for your kind attention.

Hmm, I am trying to remember what halted behaves like.  I would not
expect it to clear the terminals, although I would expect them to not
really do anything useful anymore since the getty that was running on
them is gone.  I tend to use 'poweroff' personally so that it actually
turns off when done shutting down.  Shutting down but staying on doesn't
seem very useful to me.  control+alt+delete not working does seem odd,
unless it is a usb keyboard, in which case it is expected I think since
the bios emulates the keyboard interface for usb, until the kernel boots
and takes over by disabling the emulation, and I doubt it reenables it
at halt, so a usb keyboard would be dead for the most part at that point
(although you said you could switch terminals).  Perhaps there simply
isn't a control+alt+delete handler left at that point.