Re: strange xterm behavior across platforms

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 02:33:12PM -0800, Sage Weil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing strange terminal behavior in xterm with output from g++ or even
> man pages on my amd64 etch installation.  Things that are normally quoted
> are instead surrounded by odd characters that goof up the terminal output.
> For example, a g++ error looks like
>

> The strange part is that if I'm using an xterm run off the amd64 box, it
> looks fine, but if xterm is running from a regular 32bit debian box (or
> even cygwin) it's garbled.  Also, if I view it on the console, it's
> surrounded by the little square (ASCII 254) instead of quotes.
>
> Is this something with terminfo in etch, or with the amd64 port?

The problem is that Etch amd64 uses UTF-8 (multi-byte per character) vs
regular one byte per character.  You need an xterm that handles utf-i.
E.g. rxvt doesn't but rxvt-unicode does.  Try it or xfce4-terminal.

In general this is a problem for me sshing from my 486 sarge box and
running curses stuff (like mutt, mc, or aptitude) where the line-drawing
characters are mangled unless I issue LANG=C.

Doug.