Re: Broken applications: Openoffice on AMD64

On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 03:57:07PM +0100, Adam Stiles wrote:
> On Thursday 20 July 2006 14:47, sigi wrote:
> > I'm using this [64-bit OpenOffice.org] package since it's released, and had
> > only very few
> > crashes. OOo only crashes while opening some MS-word files - with some
> > others it has no problem.
> >
> > Saving documents failed never here - neither on .odt nor .doc-files.
> > Mostly I use OOo-writer - and that package seems to work very well.
>
> Where can I get the .dsc, .diff and .tar.gz files to build this?  I'm running
> 64-bit Sid.

On any debian mirror.  It's just not building the .debs for amd64
yet until the maintainer thinks it's ready.  He keeps the .debs
on http://people.debian.org/~rene/openoffice.org instead.  It
requires some minor changes to the build scripts to build it
yourself.

Note that upstream still thinks that the 64 bit version is still
alpha quality.  If it's saying saving doesn't work, it might mean
that if you save it, and you try to open it with an other (32
bit) version, it doesn't work.  I kow that didn't use to work,
not sure of how much has been fixed.

In short, don't use a 64 bit version of it, if you can't handle
alpha qualitity software.  If you want something that should
work, wait untils it's properly in the archive.

Kurt