Re: Broken applications: Openoffice on AMD64

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006, sigi wrote:

I'm using this package since it's released, and had only very few
crashes. OOo only crashes while opening some MS-word files - with some
others it has no problem.

Saving documents failed never here - neither on .odt nor .doc-files.
Mostly I use OOo-writer - and that package seems to work very well.

Well, I did experience problems on a sarge box, related to java (on which
openoffice heavily relies). The problem persisted with the java runtime
environments from sun, ibm, blackdown, and apparently was simply due to java
triggering a bug in the libfreetype packaged in sarge. I compiled the sid
libfreetype6 package from source on sarge, installed it and the problem
disappeared completely, with no ill effects apparently. Since this appeared
to be a difficult to track problem, I failed to report it, but here it is. I
could reproduce it consistently by running through the wizard to produce a
fax template.

Bye
Giacomo

Giacomo Mulas <gmulas@ca.astro.it>

OSSERVATORIO ASTRONOMICO DI CAGLIARI
Str. 54, Loc. Poggio dei Pini * 09012 Capoterra (CA)

Tel. (OAC): +39 070 71180 248     Fax : +39 070 71180 222
Tel. (UNICA): +39 070 675 4916

"When the storms are raging around you, stay right where you are"
                         (Freddy Mercury)

Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'
risultato non infetto.