Re: unrar

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 08:51:22AM -0500, Gnu-Raiz wrote:
> Deja View Am I reading the right list, for a moment I thought I was
> on Debian User! Anyway a serval months ago Debian User had a very
> very very long thread about *rar, and various other programs that
> some users use. So if you really want to get into the nuts and
> bolts, I would suggest you read up on it.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_frm/thread/51cc1cc1c251a2e3?q=rar+%2B+debian+%2B+compression&hl=en&;
>
> Since storage is really a non issue with big harddrives, and large
> flash drives over 1 gb, I think that compression rates are really a
> non issue. I do think it comes down to the ideological differences
> of using a program. Unless of course your talking about the
> proprogation of Usenet post, Which is kind of ironic since most
> people on this list would consider that as going against the etho's
> of this list.

Well people do seem to like bzip2 for making kernel downloads take less
time, although debian packages of course seem to use gzip compression
internally.  Changing tha package format would be a major hassle of
course.

I think with tar as the standard way to store files in a collection on
unix, with a seperate compression appluied, things like zip, 7zip, rar,
arj, etc, just aren't as interesting or necesary to *nix users.