Re: unrar

On Friday 07 July 2006 17:43, Jo Shields wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 07, 2006 at 04:45:58PM -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez
wrote:
> >> Same here.  However, not everyone thinks the same way.
> >
> > Yeah I know.  Microsoft Office users for example. :)
> >
> > tar I understand (although there are a lot of different
> > implementations of it too).  Zip works too for some things.
> >
> > I think rar v3 is almost exclusively used by software pirates
> > to get the most compression for the files they are
> > distributing.  Maybe I am just too synical. :)
> >
> > Len Sorensen
>
> You are.
>
> RAR v3 is used because pirates are creatures of habit, and it
> always *used* to be best, and easy to use with pirated WinRAR.
> 7zip gives better compression for those who are doing more than
> following tradition

Deja View Am I reading the right list, for a moment I thought I was
on Debian User! Anyway a serval months ago Debian User had a very
very very long thread about *rar, and various other programs that
some users use. So if you really want to get into the nuts and
bolts, I would suggest you read up on it.

http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_frm/thread/51cc1cc1c251a2e3?q=rar+%2B+debian+%2B+compression&hl=en&;

Since storage is really a non issue with big harddrives, and large
flash drives over 1 gb, I think that compression rates are really a
non issue. I do think it comes down to the ideological differences
of using a program. Unless of course your talking about the
proprogation of Usenet post, Which is kind of ironic since most
people on this list would consider that as going against the etho's
of this list.

Gnu_Raiz

Gnu_Raiz