Re: unrar

On Monday 10 July 2006 08:25, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 08:51:22AM -0500, Gnu-Raiz wrote:
> > Deja View Am I reading the right list, for a moment I thought I
> > was on Debian User! Anyway a serval months ago Debian User had
> > a very very very long thread about *rar, and various other
> > programs that some users use. So if you really want to get into
> > the nuts and bolts, I would suggest you read up on it.
> >
> > http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_frm/thr
> >ead/51cc1cc1c251a2e3?q=rar+%2B+debian+%2B+compression&hl=en&
> >
> > Since storage is really a non issue with big harddrives, and
> > large flash drives over 1 gb, I think that compression rates
> > are really a non issue. I do think it comes down to the
> > ideological differences of using a program. Unless of course
> > your talking about the proprogation of Usenet post, Which is
> > kind of ironic since most people on this list would consider
> > that as going against the etho's of this list.
>
> Well people do seem to like bzip2 for making kernel downloads
> take less time, although debian packages of course seem to use
> gzip compression internally.  Changing tha package format would
> be a major hassle of course.
>
> I think with tar as the standard way to store files in a
> collection on unix, with a seperate compression appluied, things
> like zip, 7zip, rar, arj, etc, just aren't as interesting or
> necesary to *nix users.
>
> Len Sorensen

I agree if your use to *nix then tar and company is the best method.
As regarding compression I was mostly refering to breaking the
image, or exe, or whatever into equal parts.

that is probably one reason the alt.binaries newsgroups like it so
much, and the fact that it's established. So if you break an image
into equal lengths, and post them in say 10-15 MB sizes, the
compression method really doesn't matter. You just add a few more
equal sized chunks.

Now I agree if you want to host files then compression makes all the
difference, especially if your on a limited budget. The sad truth
is if for some unknown reason you decided to upload to one of the
various alt.binaries newsgroups and you use tar, or company then
most people would be lost as to what format that is.  But rar does
come in handy if you missed a favorite episode or TV program, or
just want some HD loving content.  Of course that all depends on
what country you live in, right now ABC is trying to stop fast
forwarding commercials.  If you follow the MPAA they want it
illegal to rip content to your harddrive, even if its for personal
use.

I try to keep it simple, I don't send linux iso's in tar format to
my dvd buddies, and I don't send tv programs in rar format to my
open source buddies.

Then again I can understand the computer scientist point of view,
getting all excited about better compression, and makeing things
more efficient.