Re: LVM root?

dtutty@porchlight.ca writes:

> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 10:15:22PM +0200, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:
> With regular partitions, if the partition table gets corrupted, its
> simple to fix if I have what it looked like before using sfdisk -d (I
> never ran into this problem after the table corruption that prompted me
> to keep this information on a floppy with other essential backups).
>
> What is the LVM equivalent of this?

There is /etc/lvm/backup/* and /etc/lvm/archive/* that keeps a backup
and a history of the metadata respectively for your volume group. If
your lvm meta data ever gets corrupted or you did something stupid
like erasing you $HOME logical volume you can use vgcfgrestore to put
it back in order.

> The whole HOWTO package is getting woefully out of date.  LVM-HOWTO
> doesn't cover recovering from errors, MULTI-DISK-HOWTO doen't cover LVM,
> and the various recovery howtos focus on bare-metal recovery not fixing
> a broken system.
>
> Or, it it the case now that LVM is so reliable that any errors will be
> hardware and unrecoverable anyway, requiring a bare-metal recovery.

It's been years without any corruption for me. I had hardware fail or
user errors where I needed to restore things but I can't remember lvm
screwing up its meta data once.

> Thanks,
>
> Doug.

MfG