LVM root?

Hi,

I'm planning the install of amd64 on my new box (Athlon 3800+, 1 GB ram,
Asus M2N-SLI MB, one Seagate 7200 80 GB SATA drive).

What are the advantages to using LVM for root?

I'm concerned about methods of recovery if something goes wrong.

If I don't do LVM root, here's my current drive layout:

Part.      mount      size
==========================
1          /boot      32 MB
5          /          200 MB
6          swap       512 MB
7          PV1        remainder (78 GB +)

VG1        only need one volume group, currently containing PV1 only

LVusr      /usr       3 GB
LVvar      /var       15 GB
LVhome     /home      10 GB
LVtmp      /tmp       200 MB

This leaves most of the VG as spare to be allocated as needed.

I plan to use JFS for all partitions.  I've been very happy with JFS in
the past.

The most memory I've ever had is 64 MB.  Now I've got a gig.  The only
time I've been memory bound has been thanks to Mozilla.  I'm assuming
that the transfering of VHS tapes to DVD (editing out the commercials)
will take more memory, but I'm unsure of how much swap I need.  When I
start video editing, I'll be adding a second drive but since that's for
working space for the editing, I don't know if I should put a swap
partition on it.

Can/should one put swap in an LV or is it no better than a swap file
then?

Please comment.

Thanks,

Doug.