Re: LVM root?

Le 08.10.2006 18:05:23, dtutty@porchlight.ca a écrit :
On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 11:03:47AM -0400, dtutty wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 09:41:31AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 09:09:11AM -0400, dtutty@porchlight.ca
wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm planning the install of amd64 on my new box (Athlon 3800+, 1
GB ram,
> > > Asus M2N-SLI MB, one Seagate 7200 80 GB SATA drive).
> > >
> > > What are the advantages to using LVM for root?
> >
> > Being able to resizeit later if needed I guess.
> >
> > > I'm concerned about methods of recovery if something goes wrong.

In the LVM-HOWTO, which may be out-of-date by now, talks about the
difficulty of upgrading from LV1 to LV2 if one has used an LV for /.
What are the prospects for future difficulties when LV3 comes along?

I've upgraded from LVM1 to LVM2 with / on a LV. Without any problem.

Obviously, I don't know how LV works internally.  If the root
filesystem
get corrupted, how do I fix it from a recovery shell (e.g. the install
USB) if its on an LV?  If this is trivial, then is the thing to do to
make all of the disk a PV then have LVs for everything?

It is probably a confidence problem.
A corrupted root file system is not better than a corrupted root over LVM.

Jean-Luc