Re: LVM root?

Hi,

dtutty@porchlight.ca ha scritto:
> What are the advantages to using LVM for root?

you can resize it later if you need more space, but I think it's easier
to split your system with some separate filesystems than to (for
example) put everything in / on a LV and give it more space later.

> Part.      mount      size
> ==========================
> 1          /boot      32 MB
> 5          /          200 MB

I'd suggest a little more space (and to put /boot into /)... maybe 512
MB is OK

> LVusr      /usr       3 GB
> LVvar      /var       15 GB
> LVhome     /home      10 GB
> LVtmp      /tmp       200 MB

Maybe it's better to make a bigger /tmp, say 1 GB, because of some
programs (for example, nautilus-cd-burner uses it to create a temporary
iso file - OK, you can change it's tmp directory, but by default it uses
/tmp)...

> Can/should one put swap in an LV or is it no better than a swap file
> then?

Yes, you can:

manu@unameht:~$ grep swap /etc/fstab
/dev/vg00/swap  none            swap    sw      0       0
manu@unameht:~$

Bye,
Manu

--
"È ricercando l'impossibile che l'uomo ha sempre realizzato il
possibile. Coloro che si sono saggiamente limitati a ciò che appariva