Re: em64t

On 10/8/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 09:15:44AM -0500, Gnu_Raiz wrote:
> It's now Intel 64, if that wasn't confusing enough.
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34722
>
> So intel went from IA-32e to EM64T to Intel 64! I guess you know why upstream
> left it amd64. I guess they suffer from the not invented here syndrome.
>
> For all those people who need to be special, you can always append-to-version
> when you compile your own kernel.  But still it freaks out those who are not
> knowledgeable to see a Woodcrest, or Conroe running something saying amd64.
> You just got to love the irony in that.

Does this mean intel wants their users even more confused by having
Intel Architecture 64 and Intel 64 being two different incompatible
things?  We already had people asking if ia64 for was em64t systems.
What a mess.  I thought IA-32e was something entirely different (I
thought that was PAE and such).

Yes, but their marketing scheme is such that the majority of people
that are going to purchase a new CPU will never have to know the
difference.  They'll just know that they're the "best" processors
around... just like the ads say.