Re: tyan board

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 09:18:50PM -0400, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:
> I'm building my new computer and am ready to look at boards.
>
> I've settled on AMD AM2 socket.
>
> I don't do games but would like to transfer videos to DVD and
> watch DVDs (edit out commercials?) and other home use type stuff.  For this,
> I want a good selection of USB, more than one SATA, firewire, etc.  In fact,
> the n3400B is only short the eSATA to match the features that I would use
> of the ASIS Crosshair (apparently a gamers' heaven).

The Asus boards have always treated me well (although I have only ever
bought the higher end models), and anything with an nvidia chipset
generally does well with linux.  Via can be a bit tricky although it
will usually end up working within a few months (2.6.18 added support
for the most recent via chipsets), and ati is simply a nightmare with
linux.

Is esata necesary?  Is it supported by linux (I don't think hotplug is
implemented for sata yet, although people are working on it).

> I want a solid reliable board as I usually only get a new computer every
> 10 years or so.
>
> I understand that Tyan boards are very good and generally well supported
> in Linux.  So far I've found the Tomcat n3400B and the h1000s.
>
> The Tyan website under 'drivers' has them listed specifically for
> RHES and SLES.  How does this translate to using these boards under Debian?

For etch, probably not a problem.  For sarge (which is about as old as
RHES's last release I suspect) you would probably have driver problems
due to the hardware being much newer than the kernel.  It really just
depends on what components does it use and whether the kernel has
drivers for those in the release you decide to use.

> I've been trying to answer this myself using Google without success.
>
> Has anyone used either of these boards?

Well I only use Asus boards myself.  I have never used a tyan, although
they do seem to have a good reputation (and they can run linuxbios
apparently).