Re: tyan board

On Friday 22 September 2006 16:13, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Well I only use Asus boards myself.  I have never used a tyan, although
> they do seem to have a good reputation (and they can run linuxbios
> apparently).

I run debian amd64 etch on tyan S2895 K8WE. Everything fine, in particular a
real raid1 (debian software), although I can say little about the X-system,
which (although it worked finely) I have no more installed in a new
installation. I do not need it. That new installation (kernel 17-2) because
the Maxtor HD proved incompatible - probably with nvidia chipsets on the
mainboard. One of the disks (not always the same) from time to time halted,
although raid1 reconstructed it, so that when restarting the machine nothing
wrong could be detected. With WD Raptor in place of Maxtor nothing wrong has
happened in about ten days of uninterrupted work (I can say that because
halting of one Maxtor had negative impact on calculations with mpqc2.3.1).

If anything, I was unhappy with Tyan Europe. Asking them about their raid -
which had nothing to do with linux although I mentioned debian linux
somewhere - the answer was "we do not answer linux questions" or about so. My
mail to Tyan Taiwan - complaining about that answer by Tyan Europe - remained
unanswered. Therefore, do not expect support by Tyan if you use linux. I can
not rule out that problems may arise from that Tyan way of doing. I wonder
whether Extremadura is going to Tyan at all. I would not if I had to buy a
new motherboard (this is no comparison with other motherboards, I am no
expert).

cheers
francesco pietra