Re: fglrx 8.29.6 and Xorg 7.1.1 :: ABI major version mismatch

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 03:10:14PM -0700, Max A. wrote:
> fglrx 8.29.6 claims to support Xorg 7.1
> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.29.6.html
>
> But I cannot get it work because of the following error:
>
> (II) LoadModule: "fglrx"
> (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
> (II) Module fglrx: vendor="FireGL - ATI Technologies Inc."
>        compiled for 6.8.99.8, module version = 8.29.6
>        Module class: X.Org Video Driver
>        ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 0.7
> (EE) module ABI major version (0) doesn't match the server's version (1)
> (II) UnloadModule: "fglrx"
> (II) Unloading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so
> (EE) Failed to load module "fglrx" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
>
> Does anybody know how to fix that?

They also claim:
* Attempting to install the ATI Proprietary Linux driver on distributions
that have updated certain 3D components outside of the stock XOrg
6.8.2 may result in the driver not initializing 3D applications
properly. Further details can be found in topic number 737-20868

Well it could be a problem here given 7.1 has many updates over the
6.8.2 they compile against.  Certianly nvidia made some fixes in their
last release to support 7.1.

X Server to segfault on launch with ATI Radeon X1K products. Further
details and the workaround can be found in topic number 737-22837

This may be a problem given this is 64bit.  I don't see anywhere which
ATI you are using

* Users with X Server X.org 7.1 can not play any video using XV. The ATI
AVIVO Video adaptor is not present.  Further details and the workaround
can be found in topic number 737-22852

I am guessing this isn't the problem.

Of course none of those issues really sound like they should give an abi
error.  Any change you are running with the old kernel module loaded and
trying to use the new driver?  Which version of the kernel module do you
have loaded?

A quick google search brought up this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-x@lists.debian.org/msg49143.html
so perhaps all you need is a newer version of the package in question.