Re: One more time, openoffice :)

Rafael Rodríguez wrote:
> Hi,
> there are experimental ubuntu amd64-native packages for OpenOffice
> according to [1]. Apart from that, a couple of days ago non-official
> packages (re-built from the debian unstable sources) were posted in this
> list, but I haven't had the time to test them quite a lot. In fact, I
> have a bug: the first time I start OpenOffice, it crashes, but the
> second time it works... ?¿

By now, you do not need to modify anymore the debian/rules file. The
amd64 architecture is compiling fine automatically and produce all the
needed packages.

But the software is still quite unstable and need to be tested and debugged.

> Anyway, anyone knows the state of the former and the latter, or the
> plans? Rene, are you alive? ;)

I guess now it's building fine and we need to fix all these pointers
problems (last time I ran it I was hitting a double free problem).

Just to recall the process to compile it:

First of all, few links about OpenOffice:

Preparing to compile (to be done once):

1) Add the following line to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ experimental main contrib

2) Update:
su -c 'apt-get update'

3) Get the packages needed to compile openoffice.org:
su -c 'apt-get build-dep -t experimental openoffice.org'

Note: The package boost-build is needed but might not be in the list
of the build-dep (install it by hand if needed)

Once you got all these done, we can get the source and compile it:

1) Get the source from the experimental Debian repository (getting the
sources from the experimental makes it sure to track bugs on the very
last version): apt-get source -t experimental openoffice.org

2) Move to the build directory: cd openoffice-*

3) Build the package (this might take quite a while):
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc

Emmanuel Fleury              | Office: 261
Associate Professor,         | Phone: +33 (0)5 40 00 69 34
LaBRI, Domaine Universitaire | Fax:   +33 (0)5 40 00 66 69
351, Cours de la Libération  | email: emmanuel.fleury@labri.fr
33405 Talence Cedex, France  | URL: http://www.labri.fr/~fleury