Re: usermin/webmin in testing or sid

Søndag 17 september 2006 15:49 skrev Hans-J. Ullrich:
> Well, that is a pity, as IMO the idea of webmin/usermin is quite well.
> It is a better thing, than "yast" in SuSE or linuxconf in RedHat, as it is
> web-based.

Well my advice to you would be to try to find some guy with the necessary
knowledge, who is willing to maintain it.

Please note that most people who read this mailingliste are just regular users
like you and me, so it might not be the best place to look.

> I looked for it, and I wonderd about Debian/stable still has version 1.11
> of usermin, and webmin still 1.180, while the officialversions are 1.23 for
> usermin and 1.29 for webmin. So, the Debian packages seem to me quite old.

This is normal. Once a Debian distribution is released as 'stable', it stops
getting updates, except when it is necessary because of security issues.

Since webmin is gone from unstable and testing, it won't even be in the
next 'stable' Debian, so things are bound to get even worse. (Depending on
how you look at it.. Apparently only few people seems to be missing it.. I
can't really count myself as one of those, honestly..)

> O.k., I can download them directly from the homepage, and so this is no
> problem for me ! Anyway, it would be nice, if these packages would be
> watched and could be in the repostory again, as I wrote above, the way of
> administrating using the way webmin does, is really a good thing.

All I can say is, try to find a maintainer who is willing to do the work. It
won't be easy, let me tell you, since it's a big job, and there seems to be
so little demand for the packages.

> Maybe someone with better knowledge than me will adept the packages, this
> would be really nice !
>
> > I had a discussion on slashdot with one of the maintainers of virtualmin
> > a while back, and they seem to be working on debian compliance and are
> > seeking testers and bugreports.
>
> Well, I like to test it and think, other people would like to do it, too.

Let me see if I can put some structure into this task. Before it can go back
into Debian, the following is needed.

* The packages need to be 'ready' first. That means they have to do
things 'the debian way' and not mess up the configuration files of other
debian packages. This is the biggest job to accomplish. It has to happen
before a new debian package can even be considered, as I understand it. The
reason it got thrown out last time was that it didn't do things right, and
the last maintainer didn't have the time or inclination to fix it.
So someone has to take on the responsibility to test the raw system, and
report bugs and if possible supply patches. This someone has to have some
insight into how stuff are supposed to work in debian, so it's not a job for
a newbie, to be blunt.

* Once all this is in place and the stuff behaves properly, then it can be
considered for debian. And then comes the difficult task of finding someone
who is willing to maintain it.

These are both big jobs, and it's the reason why I think chances are slim to
none at seeing a debian package of webmin in the foreseable future. Sorry
dude.. :) It's not that I don't think it would be very useful to have webmin
in debian, but there are just so many stumble blocks for it to happen, that
it's not really realistic, IMHO.

Anders

--
 - Debian GNU/Linux - KDE 3.5.4 - KMail 1.9.3 -