Re: Shutdown problem on Tyan S2875 opteron SMP

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006, Martin Jambor wrote:

On 9/16/06, garrone <pgarrone@acay.com.au> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 11:57:44AM +0200, Martin Jambor wrote:
> Hi,

> >Thanks. I was momentarily excited that 2.6.8 worked but the others
> >didnt, suggesting that the problem was with the linux kernel rather
> >than the board. However the situation where some kernel versions
> >work and others don't now suggests to me that the problem is more likely
> >to be with the board than the kernel. The linux code seems to follow
> >the standard pretty closely. I tried 2.6.17 and that does
> >not work either. I am running bios 3.03.
>
> Maybe I am stating the obvious, but have you had a look at and
> compared  the configurations of the kernels that do and don't work?
>
> I run vanilla kernels and whenever such problems arise (on both amd64
> and i386) it is most certainly my configuration error, not a kernel
> version issue (there have been exceptions like burning through ATA
> etc. though).
>
> HTH
>
> Martin

So what configuration options do you mean? When I debugged a failing
2.6.12, my debug statements were definitely being executed
at the point where it was supposed to stop.
I did briefly look at the configuration, but didnt see anything.
These are standard debian pre-packaged images as well.
The ACPI config from zless /proc/config.gz | grep ACPI is

CONFIG_X86_64_ACPI_NUMA=y
# ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
CONFIG_ACPI=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
# CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_SLEEP is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=m
CONFIG_ACPI_VIDEO=m
CONFIG_ACPI_HOTKEY=m
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=m
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=m
CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_CPU=y
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=m
CONFIG_ACPI_NUMA=y
CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=m
CONFIG_ACPI_IBM=m
CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=m
CONFIG_ACPI_BLACKLIST_YEAR=0
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=y
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=y
CONFIG_ACPI_CONTAINER=m
CONFIG_X86_POWERNOW_K8_ACPI=y
CONFIG_X86_SPEEDSTEP_CENTRINO_ACPI=y
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=m
# CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI=m
CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI_ACPI_IBM=m
CONFIG_PNPACPI=y
CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_ACPI=y

It all looks pretty set to me.

Yeah, it really looks good. Any differences between the 2.6.8 config?

I also recall encountering a motherboard that wouldn't shut down with
ACPI and needed APM, didn't it go away?

I also run stock kernels.  Here is a diff from 2.6.15 to 2.6.16 for
ACPI configs.  Do they look like the changes from 2.6.8?  I don't have
a 2.6.8 to to look at.

< # Linux kernel version: 2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp
< # Mon Mar 20 08:27:27 2006
---
# Linux kernel version: 2.6.16
# Fri Aug 18 20:35:54 2006

CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP=y
CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_FS=y
# CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP_PROC_SLEEP is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_HOTPLUG_CPU=y

They seem to be included in the 2.6.12 config listed above.

Don

Don.Hayward at pomobuli.net