Re: future of ATX?

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 03:18:56PM -0400, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:

> For motherboard brands, are some better for Linux and reliability in
> general than others?  AMD tech-support says they're all the same.  Do I
> just list the jacks I want and see which is cheaper, integrated vs.
> separate PCI cards?  (Assuming lots of RAM in any case)

I think the "consumer side" features are mostly the same, but there are
finer details which may be interesting or not depending on what do you
want. For example, I have a Gigabyte board, that is almost
feature-equivalent to an MSI board I have access to - at least on the
marketing level. But on the MSI board the second gigabit ethernet
controller shares the PCI bus with the Silicon Image SATA controller,
while on the Gigabyte board the second ethernet controller is connected
using PCI-E and thus does not have to share bandwidth with the SATA

Now I do not have gigabit equipment here so I cannot test the speed
difference (and I'm using the nForce SATA controller anyway), but these
small details can make the difference between "a desktop board that is
good for a server as well" and "a desktop board that I wouldn't put in a

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences