Re: future of ATX?

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 02:05:09PM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 08:00:23PM -0400, dtutty@porchlight.ca wrote:
> > The standard board/power/box form-factor has been ATX for a while.  Does
> > anyone see anything else on the horizon?  I plan to buy a good case and
> > power supply with excellent cooling for long life.  If theres a new
> > standard soon to replace ATX then I'll wait and get that;  if not, I'll
> > stick with ATX.
>
> ATX doesn't seem to be going away.  BTX on the other hand seems to be a
> short lived dead end.

Are there any other form-factors on the horizon that would make a good
ATX box and PS obsolete?  Are there boxes that are future-oriented (lots
of bays, lots of room for air to flow, bottom cooling like AMD suggests)
that will take ATX, BTX, and whatever else may be coming?  Is any
particular brand better at making a box than their competition (with the
same features), e.g. the stuff that doesn't make it onto a spec sheet?

I know that processors keep getting faster, but is the other technology
that makes up the computer settling out?  E.g. PCI has been out for a
long time.

For motherboard brands, are some better for Linux and reliability in
general than others?  AMD tech-support says they're all the same.  Do I
just list the jacks I want and see which is cheaper, integrated vs.
separate PCI cards?  (Assuming lots of RAM in any case)