Re: ATA abnormal status

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:50:29AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 August 2006 23:49, Erik Mouw wrote:
> > Anyway, back to your problem:
> > - Make sure you don't use the proprietary nvidia kernel module
> > - Replace the cables
> > - If it still persists, check Maxtor support
>
> Thank you for all extremely useful information.
>
> During the last night, while computing with mpqc2.3.1 (no X system loaded, as
> always)

The proprietary module I was talking about is a *kernel* module, not an
X module.

> same problem with disks. HD led lighted continuously. The screen
> showed:
> ---SCSI error
> ---<o> kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
>
> All checks I could carry out as before, showed the disks in order, and my data
> also in order.
>
> Now I have changed the data cables with virgin cables to both disks and
> restarted mpqc.
>
> I'll do nothing else for today because I received two new disks I had recently
> ordered ---WD 1500ADFD WD Raptor
> MDL WD1500ADFD-OONLR1
> Date 13 Jun 2006
> DCM HBCA2AB
> 5VDC 0.90A
> 12VDC 0.75

Ah, Raptors are fast.

> I plan to replace the Maxtor with these. My only concern is the ventilation.
> Although the Enermax CS-721 has 4 fans (in addition to the two to the dual
> opterons) there is no direct ventilation to the disks.
>
> I wonder whether an aluminum Cooldrive 4002 (with its own low-diameter fan)
> for each disk is an appropriate heat dissipation or a large-diameter external
> fan directed toward the disk is better. Your advice?

To be honest I think the fan on the Cooldrive is rather small, and
small fans tend to fail fast. I'd rather go for a large fan that blows
cool air from outside the case directly onto the drives.

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --