Re: ATA abnormal status

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 13:01, Erik Mouw wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:50:29AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 August 2006 23:49, Erik Mouw wrote:
> > > Anyway, back to your problem:
> > > - Make sure you don't use the proprietary nvidia kernel module
> > > - Replace the cables
> > > - If it still persists, check Maxtor support
> >
> > Thank you for all extremely useful information.
> >
> > During the last night, while computing with mpqc2.3.1 (no X system
> > loaded, as always)
>
> The proprietary module I was talking about is a *kernel* module, not an
> X module.
>
> > same problem with disks. HD led lighted continuously. The screen
> > showed:
> > ---SCSI error
> > ---<o> kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
> >
> > All checks I could carry out as before, showed the disks in order, and my
> > data also in order.
> >
> > Now I have changed the data cables with virgin cables to both disks and
> > restarted mpqc.
> >
> > I'll do nothing else for today because I received two new disks I had
> > recently ordered ---WD 1500ADFD WD Raptor
> > MDL WD1500ADFD-OONLR1
> > Date 13 Jun 2006
> > DCM HBCA2AB
> > 5VDC 0.90A
> > 12VDC 0.75
>
> Ah, Raptors are fast.
All described HD problems disappeared with Raptor in place of Maxtor.

Also, what was attributed to a bug in program mpqc2.3.1 (bad hessian on
reading cartesian coordinates and transformation into internal coordinates
with large molecules) was instead linked in some way (memory problems?) to my
Maxtor HDs. With Raptor HDs that process occurs smoothly.

Thank you again
francesco