Re: ATA abnormal status

On Tuesday 05 September 2006 13:01, Erik Mouw wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 10:50:29AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 August 2006 23:49, Erik Mouw wrote:
> > > Anyway, back to your problem:
> > > - Make sure you don't use the proprietary nvidia kernel module
> > > - Replace the cables
> > > - If it still persists, check Maxtor support
> >
> > Thank you for all extremely useful information.
> >
> > During the last night, while computing with mpqc2.3.1 (no X system
> > loaded, as always)
>
> The proprietary module I was talking about is a *kernel* module, not an
> X module.

Beg pardon for my misunderstanding and for attributing you an undue comment.

> > same problem with disks. HD led lighted continuously. The screen
> > showed:
> > ---SCSI error
> > ---<o> kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interrupt handler!
> >
> > All checks I could carry out as before, showed the disks in order, and my
> > data also in order.
> >
> > Now I have changed the data cables with virgin cables to both disks and
> > restarted mpqc.
> >
> > I'll do nothing else for today because I received two new disks I had
> > recently ordered ---WD 1500ADFD WD Raptor
> > MDL WD1500ADFD-OONLR1
> > Date 13 Jun 2006
> > DCM HBCA2AB
> > 5VDC 0.90A
> > 12VDC 0.75
>
> Ah, Raptors are fast.
Though the start was not fast. The Debian amd64 net installer (although a UPS
was upstream and the new fan - see belo - installed) did not like one of
them, indicating to return it to the vendor with CPU0 machine check exception
4 Bank 4 TSC ..., through decoding mcelog --aschii. The vendor wanted to
check the disk (June 2006 production) on his preferred OS, whereby no
indication came out, but the machine did not put the disk to work. I am
waiting for the replament Raptor.

> > I plan to replace the Maxtor with these. My only concern is the
> > ventilation. Although the Enermax CS-721 has 4 fans (in addition to the
> > two to the dual opterons) there is no direct ventilation to the disks.
> >
> > I wonder whether an aluminum Cooldrive 4002 (with its own low-diameter
> > fan) for each disk is an appropriate heat dissipation or a large-diameter
> > external fan directed toward the disk is better. Your advice?
>
> To be honest I think the fan on the Cooldrive is rather small, and
> small fans tend to fail fast. I'd rather go for a large fan that blows
> cool air from outside the case directly onto the drives.

That I have done, placing the large fan in on the fron side of the Enermack
case, directly onto the drives.

thank you
francesco