Re: Re: blank DVDs no recognized, other media OK

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 12:09:05AM +0900, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> I compiled the kernel about 6 months ago. It had all the necessary
> modules built at that time and DVDs / CDs mounted or were burnt
> without any problems. I haven't installed a new kernel since then.
>
> I doubt the drive is toast. It is only a year old and (as mentioned)
> works perfectly well for mounting CDs, burning CDs  or mounting a
> burnt DVD. In my experience if an optical drive goes the whole thing
> stops working.
>
> I will restart from another partition (Ubuntu) just to make sure ....
> get back to you about that soon.

Actually the HAL used by gnome/kde on newer systems causes serious
problems for writing DVD/CD on a lot of systems because it keeps polling
the drive to check if there is a disk in there yet.  Any chance that is
screwing it up?  Look for something named vold or hald or something
similar.

Oh and you might have to be root to write with newer kernels, since they
filter low level commands to the drive, and maybe aren't letting through
some that are required.  A good test is to burn from the command line as
root just to make sure.  If that works you can go on to work out what is
blocking it.