Re: how to setup KDE or Gnome

Chris Wakefield wrote:
On Friday 25 August 2006 10:06 pm, Viktor Tsyrennikov wrote:
  Hi,

  here is more description of the problem.
  It is a clean Etch beta 3 (AMD64) system (network) installed on
Opteron 170 system. During installation I chose 'Desktop' so after
reboot it should have loaded me into Gnome. However none of that
happened. After reboot I got only command line interface, but I can
start X server and get gray window with terminal window in 1600x1200
which means graphic card is not a problem (see lspci output below).
Mouse works too. I ran aptitude to see that I got both KDM and GDM
installed but at no point I am asked to choose one of them. xserver-xorg
is installed too.
  By suggestion of sigi I ran 'dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' which failed.
  Next I removed and installed again xserver-xorg, (went through a long
list of boring questions), rebooted and again command line, but this
time it says that KDM has been started (which I didn't ask it to).

  Question: how to get graphic interface up and start working?
  My own guess: repository (I used ftp.debian.org) is broken -- but I do
not know how to check this (netinstall went smoothly). Other mirrors
known to work well?

  Thanks,
  Victor
I you have kdm installed it will execute normally without you having to *ask*.

OK, try this:
 /etc/init.d/kdm stop;startkde

this kills kdm and starts kde manually.

send a report. the mirror *could* be broken, but until you hear from others that it is happening, we try whatever we can.

chris w.

As far as I know, since about last Chrismass, I could not get any graphical interface on fresh install with Etch on amd64. I went to Sid for all new install. There seems to be for broken packages. To know wich one, runs, say apt-get install kde, it will tell you which meta package is not installable, then run again apt-get install <name of package not instalable>, it will tell you with package is not installable in that metapackage, and so on until you can pinpoint which base package is broken.
Thierry