Re: how to setup KDE or Gnome

 Hi,

 here is more description of the problem.
It is a clean Etch beta 3 (AMD64) system (network) installed on Opteron 170 system. During installation I chose 'Desktop' so after reboot it should have loaded me into Gnome. However none of that happened. After reboot I got only command line interface, but I can start X server and get gray window with terminal window in 1600x1200 which means graphic card is not a problem (see lspci output below). Mouse works too. I ran aptitude to see that I got both KDM and GDM installed but at no point I am asked to choose one of them. xserver-xorg is installed too.
 By suggestion of sigi I ran 'dkpg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' which failed.
Next I removed and installed again xserver-xorg, (went through a long list of boring questions), rebooted and again command line, but this time it says that KDM has been started (which I didn't ask it to).

 Question: how to get graphic interface up and start working?
My own guess: repository (I used ftp.debian.org) is broken -- but I do not know how to check this (netinstall went smoothly). Other mirrors known to work well?

 Thanks,
 Victor