Re: ATI driver slow: which way to look ?

On 24-Aug-2006 15:33.56 (BST), Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
 > I have a 64-Bit notebook with installed ia32-libs. My graphic-card is a X700
 > made by ATI (yes, ATI sux !) and Xorg7.
 >
 > All 3D-acceleration functions are accessible and working, But they work real
 > slow. I do not think, it is the driver itself.
 [snip]
 > What I want to say is: I do not believe, that the driver is buggy, I believe,
 > something else but the drivver makes the graphics slow (glxgears shows 50FPS,
 > I wrote some about it some times ago)

The driver may be appearing to work fine in as much as you're seeing a 2D
visual just fine. If DRI is not activated then mesa will fall back to
software rendering, which may be the reason why you are seeing the slowdowns
you are experiencing (glxgears will work even if DRI isn't enabled).

Easiest way to tell is to run 'glxinfo'. This will display information on
the GLX extension. You should look at the top of the output, which will tell
you if you are using direct rendering, namely:

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes

Note that if it reads "direct rendering: No", then you are using software
rendering which will explain why you are seeing slow performance.

I was until recently using an ATI Radeon X700. DRI did not work without
pulling bits of source, adding the PCI ID of the card I had to the list of
the X700 cards and rebuilding the package - the list was not complete at the
time. This may still be the case. If that's the case, you'll need to check
that your card is listed in the X700 cards within the source of mesa -
apt-get install source mesa, inspect the PCI IDs and rebuild.

HTH,
rob

--
rob andrews                       :: pgp 0x01e00563 :: rob@choralone.org