Re: ATI driver slow: which way to look ?

Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
Hi all, this time I am looking for a way to find out a problem and to understand, how things are working.

I have a 64-Bit notebook with installed ia32-libs. My graphic-card is a X700 made by ATI (yes, ATI sux !) and Xorg7. All 3D-acceleration functions are accessible and working, But they work real slow. I do not think, it is the driver itself. Please Imagine it is sure, the driver itself and the kernel-module are o.k. , and imagine there is no mistake either in the driver nor in the kernel-module and all is loaded correctly, then IMO the error must be somewhere else.

How can I check the rest of the graphics-environment ? Are there any ways i.e. to proove the speed of my pcie-bus ? Are there any ways, to proove, if some other things make my system slow , maybe some other modules/software which conflict with the graphics ?

What I want to say is: I do not believe, that the driver is buggy, I believe, something else but the drivver makes the graphics slow (glxgears shows 50FPS, I wrote some about it some times ago) And this is just what I try to find out. I do have the hope, that some graphical expert might show me another way, how to check. I am always fond of learning something new !

Best regards

Hans

glxgears is a fillrate test, not a benchmark. Its main use is in determining whether you have 3D acceleration or not. Less than 100 is most definitely *not* accelerated. My office desktop (Radeon 9200SE, FGLRX) gets about 1100 FPS, my laptop (Intel GMA900) gets about 1000FPS, my home desktop (nVidia 6800GT) gets about 15000 FPS.

Try increasing your AGP aperture size in your BIOS to something like 256MiB (you may need to use a 'secret' key combination to access that setting, Gigabyte desktop boards hide it behind ctrl-f1)