Re: ATA abnormal status

On Thursday 24 August 2006 11:08, Daniel Tryba wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 10:16:30PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Any guess at what that means? I naively understand it was failure by the
> > OS, not failure of hardware.
>
> I had the same errors on a Tyan K8SSA and first thought it was a
> software/kernel problem with the sata controller/driver. But then one
> disk suddenly died (no problems where found til the failure (smartctl))
> and got replaced by a new one. The machine has been running flawless
> since.
>
> It might be a coincidence, but just to show you you might have a
> hardware problem.

My motherboard is Tyan K8WE S2895 with a couple of dualopteron, recently
assembled. The HD are 300GB, cheap type (unfortunate choice).

Could you please tell me if smartmontools and smartd are in conflict with one
another? I have both

/etc/smartd.conf

and

/etc/default/smartmontools

SMART id disabled, therefore smartctl does not work, asking to activate SMART.
I see in /etc/dafult/smartmontools that activation of the latter is
undesirable if control is through smartd.

I would be much indebted for guidance as to setting smartmontools or/and
smartd.

Kernel is Linux deb64 2.6.15-1-amd64-k8-smp Mon Mar 20 11:41:50 UTC 2006

I did not manage to get a 16 or 17 because the machine is connected to
internet only during update/upgrade from debian site. Not using X system,
although it is installed and working.  I use for internet a i386 pc.

As to the cables, well let me first manage the disk tools

The machine is now carrying out a many-days computation but it can be killed
and restarted from the last data.

Thanks for answering.

Cheers
francesco