Re: Nvidia Texture corruption in quake4!

On Saturday 19 August 2006 19:48, Robert Isaac wrote:
> Two things,
>
> 1.) Quake 4 does not have a 64-bit executable, it only runs with
> 32 bit libs installed on your system, iD has yet to produce a 64
> bit game.  TTimo's view of the issue can be found here:
> http://www.linuxgames.com/?dataloc=articles/ttimo2006/ (second to
> last question)
>

> 2.) It is not a driver issue it is a Quake 4 issue, forward the
> problem to the Quake 4 devs.
>
> (Before the 1.3.2 patch I had no problem with the latest Nvidia
> drivers 1.0-8762 with Xorg 6.9 on Sarge, after the patch certain
> windows lose their transparency)
>
> On 8/19/06, Gnu-Raiz <Gnu-Raiz@midsouth.rr.com> wrote:
> > Dear: Fellow users;
> >
> > I am in need of advice, I am having the same problem with
> > texture corruption, and not being able to run quake4-smp as I
> > had in Ubuntu. Every other game I own runs fine ut2004 runs
> > good, no texture corruption.
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/47391
> >
> > I am using the latest Nvidia drivers, and this was a fresh
> > amd64 install from beta2 etch net iso's. I know that Ubuntu has
> > solved the problem, when a few months later I installed the
> > nvidia drivers with the ubuntu method.  As later I did not have
> > any texture problems, and quake4-smp would run without a
> > problem. I don't know what changes they made, but I believe it
> > is a Nvidia driver issue.
> >
> > I first tried the 32 chroot install of quake4, but it shows the
> > exact problem I am having in the 64 bit version. I am able to
> > run the quake4 exe in both the 32 bit, and 64 bit versions, but
> > it shows much texture corruption, and is slow even with
> > everything turned down low, such as no AA, no bump mapping,
> > etc.
> >
> > Looking at my Xorg logs show's nothing out of the ordinary,
> > also my kernel log shows nothing, or any errors regarding the
> > graphics card. I am using the latest patches 1.3 and I can play
> > for a short time but the corruption is two much for an extended
> > time.
> >
> > Opty 165
> > Motherboard asrock dual sata 939
> > Nvidia 6600gt apg card
> >
> > Gnu_Raiz
> >

> > --

When I was doing some research I ran across a few articles
mentioning compiz, and xgl and window transparency. Also the link
you provided was of an interview, not of a transparency issue. I
also thought that window transparency and texture corruption was a
different kettle all together.

I also meant i was able to run quake4 32 bit in a native 64 bit
system with just ia32 libs without a change root.  Like I mentioned
above I believe that Ubuntu has solved the problem, I hoped for
someone with knowledge can enlighten us all. It could be a chipset
problem with just my board and the ali agp driver.

Gnu_Raiz