Re: How to get the right source

On Thu, Aug 10, 2006 at 11:02:41AM -0400, Bill Ranck wrote:
>    I am still trying to get a 64bit smp kernel working on my Dell
> system.  I have installed and successfully run 2.6.12-1-amd64-generic.
> I have tried installing kernel-image-2.6.8-12-amd64-k8-smp and kernel-
> image-2.6.8-12-em64t-p4-smp.  Both of those fail to boot.  Please note
> that this is a newer Intel processor that runs the AMD64 bit code.
>    I really would like to find the kernel source for 2.6.12-1-amd64-
> generic to rebuild it, but it does not seem to be available on the
> mirror I am using.  Does anyone know where I might find that?  Or even a
> kernel-image that would work.  My department has a *policy* of building
> non-modular kernels, so building from source is preferable.

Some places have crazy policies.  I would love to know what
justification it has, given I have not seen a sensible reason given by
anyone ever for wanting a completely module free kernel.  I keep hoping
someone someday actually has a valid reason. :)

>    Any pointers or help will be greatly appreciated.  I tried all of the
> stuff people suggested the last time, at least to the best of my
> understanding of them.

The closest I can find is the linux-image-2.6.12 source package on
snapshots.debian.org.

http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2005/09/28/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/

Latest version in there is 2.6.12-10, for which you can find the
.orig.tar.gz, the diff.gz and the dsc.  That should be able to be
compiled given a proper .config file.

It may be simpler to get the 2.6.15/2.6.16 kernel from www.backports.org
and use the source package for that one.