Re: How to get the right source

On Thursday 10 August 2006 16:02, Bill Ranck wrote:
> Hello again,
>    I am still trying to get a 64bit smp kernel working on my Dell
> system.  I have installed and successfully run 2.6.12-1-amd64-generic.
> I have tried installing kernel-image-2.6.8-12-amd64-k8-smp and kernel-
> image-2.6.8-12-em64t-p4-smp.  Both of those fail to boot.  Please note
> that this is a newer Intel processor that runs the AMD64 bit code.
>    I really would like to find the kernel source for 2.6.12-1-amd64-
> generic to rebuild it, but it does not seem to be available on the
> mirror I am using.  Does anyone know where I might find that?  Or even a
> kernel-image that would work.  My department has a *policy* of building
> non-modular kernels, so building from source is preferable.

The kernel-image or linux-image packages do contain the config file which was
used to build the kernel.  These are copied to /boot when the kernel image is
installed.

If you can't find it there, don't panic.  As long as you have still got
the .deb file from which you installed the kernel  (take a look
in /var/cache/apt/archives/ in case it's still there),  you can retrieve it.

Manually unpack the kernel-image .deb file:
# ar x *.deb
This will give you three files.  The one you are interested in is data.tar.gz.
Find any files with "config" in the name:
# tar tvzf data.tar.gz |grep config
You want the one which is in boot/:
# tar xvzf data.tar.gz --wildcards ./boot/config*
Note, this will create a directory "boot" and put the file in there.

Now get the 2.6.12 kernel sources from ftp.kernel.org and unpack as normal.
Copy your config file  (from /boot if you were lucky, or from where you
unpacked your .deb)  to the directory where you unpacked the kernel sources.
Do `make menuconfig`.  Change all "M"s to "Y"s, and make whatever other
changes you need.  Start building your kernel, and go and put the kettle
on  :-)

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk