Re: How to get the right source

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 02:58:31PM +0100, A J Stiles wrote:
> Be aware that this WILL cause you problems with some devices.
>
> I know from experience that the usb-storage module  (for digital cameras,
> multi slot readers and external HDDs)  occasionally  (too rarely to
> investigate, but often enough to be annoying)  locks up, leaving you unable
> to do anything with the attached device.  Using rmmod and modprobe to unload
> and reload the module clears the fault.  But if you compile usb-storage into
> the kernel  (like wot I did)  then you cannot clear the fault without
> rebooting.
>
> There must be other hardware and software combinations that will do this sort
> of thing.  Of course, you may get lucky and never encounter any of them.

I believe there are some drivers which can only be built as modules.  Of
course it is also annoying to have to reboot the system to change a
setting, which could have been done simply by unloading and reloaidng
the module with the new parameter.

For anything other than an embedded system, a modular kernel is a much
better idea.

I even got the impression a few years ago that many of the kernel
developers expect a lot of drivers to always be modules, and in some
cases consider built in a sepcial case that doesn't get access to all
the options the module does.

I can't think of any good reason for a non modular kernel on a system in
general.  It doesn't have any benefits.