Re: How to get the right source

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 09:43:54AM -0400, Bill Ranck wrote:
> Hello folks,
>    I am new to the 64 bit stuff and I need to rebuild my kernel for
> multiple processors.  I know I should apt-get the source packages, but
> which packages and from where?  My /etc/apt/sources.list has the
> following:
> deb http://debian.csail.mit.edu/debian-amd64/debian sarge main contrib
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
>
>    I have installed am running this on a Dell 2650 with Intel
> processors.  Here is the uname -a line:
> Linux ripberger 2.6.12-1-amd64-generic #1 Fri Jul 22 18:12:08 CEST 2005
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
>    I assume that I just need to download the kernel sources, do the
> "make menuconfig" thing and make the new kernel from there.  Any other
> cautions or suggestions?

Why not just install the amd64-k8-smp kernel that comes with the
distribution?  If 2.6.8 doesn't run on the hardware, you can probably
get one that is newer from backports.org, or possibly in the latest
release of sarge (since apparently sarge's installer is now being
updated with a newer 2.6 kernel).