Re: How to get the right source

On Friday 28 July 2006 13:25, Bill Ranck wrote:
> Thanks to everyone who responded.  Our local policy is that we rebuild
> all linux kernels without loadable kernel modules.  So, I have to
> rebuild the kernel anyway, and I need to add the smp support as well.

Be aware that this WILL cause you problems with some devices.

I know from experience that the usb-storage module  (for digital cameras,
multi slot readers and external HDDs)  occasionally  (too rarely to
investigate, but often enough to be annoying)  locks up, leaving you unable
to do anything with the attached device.  Using rmmod and modprobe to unload
and reload the module clears the fault.  But if you compile usb-storage into
the kernel  (like wot I did)  then you cannot clear the fault without
rebooting.

There must be other hardware and software combinations that will do this sort
of thing.  Of course, you may get lucky and never encounter any of them.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk