Re: Broken applications: Could we be honest?

Excuse me for chiming in, but I think many places simply look
for the best performance and productivity/dollar(euro). We do use the PGI compiler,
mostly because gnu had not had a f90-f95 compiler, and partly because
of, maybe, a 10% improvement in speed.

What I find interesting is that both Fedora and Debian have similar
problems for different reasons. Debian has now stable release for
AMD64 because Sarge was released before AMD64 was really ready. This means
that we are all stuck in the beta test-site pool. It would be really nice
if Debian actually packaged up a "stable-like" version of AMD64 at the
same level as Sarge. Fedora has been moving so quickly, that they have
incorporated the same problems into a nominally stable release.