Re: Broken applications: Could we be honest?

Jimmy Tang wrote:

At the risk of imposing what we do at our work place onto your work flow, i find that users generally should have access to better debuggers/profilers than what ships with standard gnu distros.

Well, if you intend to start a flame war on the lists... but enough on that.

presumably if you are doing scientific computations, you probably have
access to a commercial compiler?

Oh, we do. Consider an project with a timeline of many years or even decades of years. would you choose a non onepn source (commercial) compiler/debugger for that project? I'm pretty sure, you won't.

also shouldnt users be using programs like xmgrace

Talking about commerical applications from your point of view - why use free software for data analysis when powerful commercial packages like IDL are available?

Olli

--
Oliver Rother, Department of Space Physics,
University of Kiel, Leibnizstr. 11/505a, D-24118 Kiel