Re: apparent crashes persist.

On Saturday 24 June 2006 10:51, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> Don't see a memtest option on grub, though I've installed memtest86+.
> Evidently I have to edit the grub configuration, or use its c or e
> options when booting, but I'm completely clueless on this.

Since you installed the package, the only thing that is left to do is to
edit /boot/grub/menu.lst, in a very simple and intuitive way:

search for "memtest86+" inside this file, you should find something like:

## should update-grub create memtest86 boot option
## e.g. memtest86=true
##      memtest86=false
# memtest86=true

make sure its "true" and that it remains commented.

This will instruct update-grub (which you should run as the next step) to
include memtest86 in the grub loader.

If everything goes well, you should see the output of the update-grub command
similar to:

Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.list file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.15-22062006
Found kernel: /vmlinuz-2.6.15-1-amd64-generic
Found kernel: /memtest86+.bin
Updating /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

Good luck,

Dimitris