Re: apparent crashes persist.

I had no idea this was going to be this difficult!

On Sat, Jun 24, 2006
at 09:05:14AM +0100, Nelson Menezes wrote:
> hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> >vesa drivers without nvidia glx: firefox still crashes, only more
> >slowly.  Look like nvidia's stuff is off the hook.
>
> I'd definitely try memtest86+. Install, reboot, pick the option from
> GRUB and let it run overnight.
>
> I have a similar setup to yours, and was having random lock-ups, etc.
> Turns out I had some dodgy RAM that memtest86+ picked up within 10
> minutes of running. Replaced with a proper brand (GEiL); works a charm now.

Don't see a memtest option on grub, though I've installed memtest86+.
Evidently I have to edit the grub configuration, or use its c or e
options when booting, but I'm completely clueless on this.

lilo is currently refusing to work, details have just been posted in
a thread on debian-user.  Something about trying to read from a
nonexistent device.

The floppy installation script for memtest86+ fails:
-----
* Creating msdos file system

1440+0 records in
1440+0 records out
1474560 bytes (1.5 MB) copied, 0.002501 seconds, 590 MB/s

* Installing GRUB files
Copying menu.lst
/lib/grub/i386-pc/*: No such file or directory
-----

Could it be that it hasn't been updated for AMD64?
There's an /lib/grub/x86-64-pc directory.
Should I make the obvious change in teh script?
Should I report this as a bug?

-- hendrik