Re: apparent crashes persist.

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 03:22:18PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 02:07:34PM +0100, A J Stiles wrote:
> > On Friday 23 June 2006 14:16, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> > > It's been a while now, about five months and I still haven't gor my
> > > AMD64 working properly
> > > Evidently, something is hogging some critical resource, possibly the CPU
> > > (the usual suspect) but it could also be a networking resource, since
> > > that's what the mouse and ssh seem to have in common
> > > When logged in locally using the X server it crashes.  I suspect a
> > > measure of software involvement in the crashes, because when I upgraded
> > > the nvidia drivers from 1.0.8756-1 to 1.0.8762-2 and also upgraded the
> > > kernel from 2.6.12 to 2.6.15  the crashes became less frequent.
> >
> > First thing to try:  get rid of the closed-source nVidia drivers and try using
> > the i-tal "nv" driver instead.  See how the system fares then.
>
> With the nv driver, get
> (EE) no devices found
>
> Indeed, the 6100 is not on the list of chips supported by the nv driver.
>
> Next, try vesa?

With vesa, X comes up and crashes under firefox.
Mind you, the log shows that X loaded nvidia's glx even though it had a
vesa driver. I would guess that this combination is unlikely to work.
Looks like I may have to uninstall the nvidia stuff to keep it from
being used.

here, aptitude is my friend.

-- hendrik