Re: General advice needed : rebuilding server

Hi Jo

On 23/06/06, Jo Shields (jo.shields@comlab.ox.ac.uk) wrote:
> Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> >- a RAID card problem, possibly heat related
> >- an out-of-control daemon
> >  apcupsd? samba? netatalk?
> >- a kernel problem
> >  wrong kernel architecture, buggy kernel implementation by 3Ware
> >- cracker or newbie sysadmin killing /boot and /var

> What file system are you using for /boot and /var themselves?

We used ext3 for all of the file systems.

> >I encountered a major snag. All the amd64 repositories were offline or
> >only had partial contents. In the end I wasn't able to rebuild the
> >server this way (or install a new kernel) due to missing testing
> >repositories.

> Testing isn't missing. Debian has AMD64 testing, on any standard Debian
> mirror. What's missing is the obsolete unofficial Debian-AMD64 Project's
> clone of Testing. Use a real Debian mirror if Testing is what you want.
> See http://wiki.debian.org/DebianAMD64MirrorMove

Oh right! http://amd64.debian.net/README.mirrors.html appears to be out
of date in that case. I stupidly didn't try the straightforward

    deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian testing main

syntax.

Many thanks for your reply.
Rory