Re: [FIXED] Random segfaults (was: Hup,hup Debian AMD64, Hup, hup)

Dimitris Lampridis wrote:
> Found it! It was a faulty memory module (again! second time since October
> 2005). For your information, its Crucial Ballistix. This is some negative
> experience I have with this company... I also read on the net more negative
> comments for the same products.
>
> I've checked each one of the 4 modules by itself, 3 of them work nice without
> any segfault, the 4th one, when being the only one installed, prevents the
> machine from booting (somethimes stops before boot loader, other times on the
> video card's initial screen, and most of the times the monitor doesn't even
> turn on). So i'm back to 1G of mem and already packaging the modules for
> return (they go in pairs and the company insists you return both of them)
>
> Anyway, a BIG thanks to everybody, I didn't reply to the last posts cause I
> was testing and waiting for the outcome.
>
> Cheers,
> Dimitris

Yes, as I was reading the list, all I could think was that it was a
memory problem that you were experiencing.  I was running down the same
path a while back, but my symptoms were different than yours.  Crucial
memory is definately low-grade in my books unfortunately, on two other
occasions I've had two servers experience the same sort of memory
problems.  It was fun sending back over 60 gigs of memory for a refund.
 We run OCZ and Kingston now.

Anyway, it's great to see you have it figured out.