Re: ndiswrapper and sound - etch

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 10:46:08AM -0400, Scott Thomas wrote:
> Recently bought a Compaq laptop (V2630US) with AMD Turion 64. I've been using
> 32-bit Linux for quite some time (1996), but, like most, I suppose, this
> 64-bit is a new adventure.
>
> I installed Testing from the CD (netinstall - boot params "noapic nolapic")
> via the ethernet connection, and all HW was properly detected and set up
> except (as expected) the Broadcom 4318 wifi card. Sound worked perfectly
> (lspci reports audio is: 0000:00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI
> Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)).
>
> I installed and compiled ndiswrapper 1.16, and the WinXP64 driver and the
> Broadcom worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the sound stopped working
> immediately. The error was no device found (looking for /dev/audio
> and/or /dev/dsp. I created /dev/audio and now it no longer complains about
> the device, but still doesn't have sound.

Use udev, that should take care about the devices.

> Any help greatly appreciated...

Try linux-2.6.17-rc5-git5, it comes with the open source bcm43xx
driver. It doesn't support all features of the 4318 yet (can't get WPA
working but WEP works), but it's fairly usable. I've been using it for
over a month on a x86 machine. See also http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/ .

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --