ndiswrapper and sound - etch

Hello all,

Recently bought a Compaq laptop (V2630US) with AMD Turion 64. I've been using
32-bit Linux for quite some time (1996), but, like most, I suppose, this
64-bit is a new adventure.

I installed Testing from the CD (netinstall - boot params "noapic nolapic")
via the ethernet connection, and all HW was properly detected and set up
except (as expected) the Broadcom 4318 wifi card. Sound worked perfectly
(lspci reports audio is: 0000:00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI
Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)).

I installed and compiled ndiswrapper 1.16, and the WinXP64 driver and the
Broadcom worked perfectly. Unfortunately, the sound stopped working
immediately. The error was no device found (looking for /dev/audio
and/or /dev/dsp. I created /dev/audio and now it no longer complains about
the device, but still doesn't have sound.

Any help greatly appreciated...

Scott