Re: Which AMD64 installer iso to use?

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 21:48, Karl Schmidt wrote:
> Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > This is further confusing me. I reported last night to this list of
> > successful (up to the stage of partitioning disks, when I had to delay
> > the process because it was getting too late and I was unable from manual
> > partitioning to get the tool for partitioning) installation of amd64
> > debian testing with Tyan K8WE with two dual 265 amd opteron starting from
> > installer
> > as downloaded yesterday from
> > http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/
>
> I wasted over two weeks trying to use the testing installers from that
> page. Right now people would be better served if the links for the AMD64
> installer images on that page were removed.

I am using the above TESTING installer with the above hardware (having chosen,
at the installer request, ftp.de.debian.org as mirror; internet is ok on this
pc bound to the same rooter).

I must say that everything run smoothly, raid1 MD (I choose
separate /, /usr, /var, swap, /tmp), root pass, user pass, but  base system
installation failed, althoug the installer CD-ROM had not been removed.
Apparently the system expected SARGE:

Debootstrap error: failed getting release file:///cdrom/dists/sarge/release

I insisted and the window "preparing to install the base system appeared for a
long while but exited with the same above error, reporting errors at virtual
console 4.
LeftAlt-F4 is very long, the two last lines:
---Running /usr/lib/base-installer.d/40netcf
---exiting on error base-installer/debootstrap-failed

On Enter, further lines report about kernel
---md: using max available idle IO bandwidth (but no more than 200000 KB/sec)
for reconstruction.
---md: using 128k window, ober a total of 2931712 blocks.
---raid1 conf printout:
---wd:2 ed:2
---disk 0, wo:0, 0:1, dev:sda9.
---disk1, wo:0, 0:1. dev:sdb9.
---md: md2: sync done.
---as abore repeated for sda6 and asb6

Hope to get suggestions as either letting the testin CD-ROM being recognized
or something else. Nothing against installing Sarge at this point,, only to
know how.

THE WORKSATTION IS LEFT RUNNING IN THE HOPE OF A RECOVERING SUGGESTION

Thank you

francesco pietra