Re: Dual booting 64-bit and 32-bit kernels

On 5/23/06, A J Stiles <deb64@earthshod.co.uk> wrote:
If I partition my drive appropriately, can I use LILO to dual-boot a 32-bit
kernel and a 64-bit kernel with  {at least}  a shared /home and swap space,
but separate / partitions?

I use such configuration with GRUB but I don't see any reason why this shouldn't work with LILO as well.

I can boot into either the 64- or the 32-bit system, additionally I have configured my chroot (in the 64-bit environment) to point into the same 32-bit partition as well. For me this is the ideal setup allowing me to work in 64-bit by default, have the few 32-bit applications (OpenOffice, Firefox Flash plugin etc.) chrooted, but still having a fully functional 32-bit installation in the backhand.

However, I would be very much interested whether it is possible to share other partitions between the installations as well (/etc in particular)... any experiences?

--
Best regards / Mit den besten Grüssen
Sven Krahn