Running a 64-bit kernel and a pure 32-bit userspace

Hi!
I upgraded my IA32 system's CPU running Debian Etch with an Ahlon64
processor.
After tracking the current state of affairs of amd64 on Debian, I
concluded it is not worth the trouble of reinstalling the operating
system and applications and get issues with OpenOffice, partly
mplayer, some binary-only games (Quake4, Enemy Territory), some
proprietary applications (Skype, Cross Over, Flahs plugin), and some
proprietary kernel drivers.

I also dislike very much the idea of having a 32-bit chroot for those
applications, so what I would like to have is a "standard" 64-bit
kernel capable of runing both 32-bit a 64-bit applications, and a
pure 32-bits userspace (preferably my current Debian Etch IA32
system).

Is that possible and usefull?

I've seen messages on this list from people saying they were running
amd64-k8 kernels on 32-bit Sarge [1], but the only "k8" linux-image
packages I'm able to find in packages.debian.org are like [2], for
the "amd64" dpkg's architecture, so my current i386 dpkg refuses to
install it.
Are there somewhere "i386" packages of a Linux kernel for AMD64
processors running in long mode? Or even in legacy mode?

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-amd64/2005/10/msg00769.html
[2]
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/base/linux-image-2.6.16-1-amd64-k8

Thanks in advance,

Please CC: me in replies, because I'm not (yet?) subscribed to the
list.

--
Herr Groucho

ID Jabber: groucho@lugmen.org.ar
Señal distintiva: LU5MJR - 144,550 MHz FM.
Clave pública GPG: hkp://pks.lugmen.org.ar
Fingerprint GPG: B7BD 0FC7 D9A2 66F3 4EFC  45EE 7DE2 3932 597B 6354